Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Forward




On November 6, 2012 I voted and took my 2 1/2 year old son with me to the polls. I believed it was important for him to have this experience too, even though he did not fully understand what was going on. This was still going to have an impact on his life. So there he sat beside me as I cast my ballot, in a chair and with a lollipop a poll volunteer had given him. Content and curious as ever.

As a mixed- race woman of African American descent having a son with a Caucasian man, I feel the importance to instill the historical knowledge of absoluteness as my baby grows into a man. The election in 2008 had an incredibly profound affect on me and now as a mother with a diverse family of my own, I am that much more emotionally moved. Especially having a son. Truth is, I never in a billion years thought I could have fallen so deeply in love with such a perfect newborn. From the moment the doc told me "It's a boy" I had noooo clue what was in store for this jazzy, new mama except immense L-O-V-E. A love that yearns to teach her son about the world, his colorful culture, involve and share with him history as it continues to unfold. More importantly, give him a real visual of how he can now see his face in our President. That is such a penetrating and accomplished impression!

My son is a firecracker, vibrant, fearless and a sweet mix of independence and tenderness.  I love him immeasurably, raise him to the best of my ability and am thankful that President Obama has given him something I cannot. The possibility that he can dream BIG and truly be anything he wants to be! This is a concept that runs deeper than any political orientation. It is not a Republican or a Democrat thing. It's a Dream BIG thing. It's purely what any mother would want for her son, the opportunity to pursue their dreams, whatever they may be.

"Look son!" (holding up the front page of the Orange County Register newspaper) You have a brown and white face and so does our leader!

Josiah: "Oh yeeeeaaaah!"

Mama: No words.

As a photographer, who's inspiration in this business is her son... I felt absolutely compelled to take a snapshot that our family will have and cherish forever. Plus, an image is worth a thousand words. I am so in love. Oh the places, you'll go!



**Thank you Mr. President for bringing the words "Yes We Can...and did!" to life. Thank you from mothers everywhere of mixed- race children who can truly tell their beautiful kiddos "You can be anything you want to be" and making this a reality. Thank you for the gift of change.

Forward!

Jasmin Amira

1 comment:

  1. That was very touching and inspiring. Thank you Obama for making your mark for children of diverse ethnicities!

    ReplyDelete